If you allow the battery of your Kjam to drop below 2 to 5%, there is a good chance that your device will refuse to start up. In this case, you will not be able to charge the battery back up again even if you use the USB cable or the supplied charger. Actually using the supplied charger has given people mixed results. Some say that it worked, but for me it didn’t. Apparently the originally supplied charger was a 1ampere charger but I had lost that one long ago. The other charger that I had was a .5 ampere charger and totally inadequate. The highest rated charger that I could find was a .85 ampere charger. I thought that this was close enough to 1 amp to not really make a difference, but it also failed to charge the battery.
This is also due to the fact that apparently the charging circuits of the Kjam don’t work until there is a minimum amount of charge available in the battery. So I was left with a periodically flashing red light and my Kjam not booting. After scouring the internet for many hours, I found broken bits of information which I have tried to consolidate here in this post. I can’t find the original articles any more.
What you will need:
- A 9 volt battery. The rectangular kind.
- Short sections of copper wire.
- Steady and quick hands!
- Identify the positive and negative terminals of your Kjam battery. and also of the 9 volt battery
- Take 2 pieces of standard copper wire and wind around the 9 volt battery terminals.
- Position the Kjam battery so that you have easy access to its terminals.
- Make contact with the wires connected to the 9 volt with the positive and negative terminals of the Kjam battery for about 15 seconds.
- After you break contact, quickly put your battery back into the Kjam and turn it on. It should come on and as soon as the Windows Mobile splash screen comes on, plug in the normal AC charger and allow to charge to full.
You may have to repeat step 4 and 5 in case the Kjam doesn’t hold charge for long enough. In some places I found that the instructions were to leave the battery in the device and then make contact with the wires. I don’t think it’s a very good idea to shoot 9 volts into your phone’s circuits when they are only supposed to take 3.7 volts.
After effects of this procedure, the battery powers the device for much less time than before. About half the time as before. The original battery used to die on my after about 3 days, it came down to about 1.5 to 2 days after this procedure.