Android Apps – ColorNote

There are a lot of note taking applications available in the Android Market. Most of the ones that I tried were either too simple or had just too many features that I would never use. ColorNote solved that problem for me. ColorNote by Social & Mobile is the best application that I found that is not only easy to use but also has the right amount of features so as not to overwhelm you, add to that the very neat and clean interface, and you have a real winner of an application.

ColorNote is an application that does exactly what it claims to do and it does that very well. The note taking can be in two different formats. You can either write a simple text note in case you want to jot down something that crossed your mind or you can create a checklist or a “to do” list that you can check off as you go along. The notes can be saved in various colors and you can choose this at the time of creating the note. The notes that you create can also be stuck to your home screens as widgets. As soon as you try to add the ColorNote widget, it shows you the list of notes that you have in ColorNote and you can choose the right one at that time.

Highly recommended!

Update: Default Master Password
For those facing problems with the master password to restore your backed up notes, use “0000” as the password to access them. Tip is courtesy Etienne from the comments.

Update: ColorNote Now Provides Online Sync
The latest ColorNote versions feature online sync with ColorNote servers. You have the option to sign up to the ColorNote Sync service using your Google or Facebook ids. I recommend that you do this immediately to avoid losing your notes. The sync feature has made this simple app really powerful and I might start using this again.

Note: The sync is in beta so please have the SD backup as well.

137 Responses to “Android Apps – ColorNote”

1. Michael
    June 5, 2010 at 6:47 AM #

Regarding the Android Color Note feature. Agree, useful. HOWEVER, I recently updated my phone and cannot restore ("import") my old notes. I know they exist as I see them on the SD card. I tried the backup option and no luck. Any ideas? Thanks and keep up the great work.

• July 10, 2010 at 4:31 AM #

@michael Yeah… you are right. Colornote has no import feature and that really sucks. Maybe we should write to the developer. Thats one benefit we have through the market.

• kishore
      June 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM #

Unmount the phone.
      Menu – Backup – select file. Use password if you have one or use “0000”. Hope it helps.

• Dave Coleman II
      July 1, 2011 at 12:21 AM #

Open the ColorNote app. Open the menu. Touch “Backup”. Then touch the latest date and time on the list. It’ll ask for your Master password or “0000”. Worked for me. Thank you.

• wwtk
      November 13, 2011 at 5:46 PM #

Yeah I have the same issue. All the backup files are there but they don’t show up in the list of ones that can be restored :( (and yes the phone is not usb mounted when i look LOL)

• May 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM #

Ok guys there’s a way. If you have your backup on your PC copy the colornote folder (contained in te folder “data” – not “.data”) in the same folder on your SD card. Then open colornote on your phone > Menu > Settings > SD card backup. Here now you’ll se a list of backup files, named by date. On the right in the square there’s the number of the notes contained in each backup. Click on the backup and you’ll se each note. Long touch on a note then > restore to replace it on your colornote homepage!

Enjoy.

2. BigShot
    August 11, 2010 at 6:39 AM #

Is there a way to import data to a ColorNote? I use Outlook and obviously can't get my Notes to my Droid through CompanionLink. Can I simply connect the Droid via USB and somehow cut/paste my data to a ColorNote

• August 12, 2010 at 1:27 AM #

@BigShot Thats the only thing about ColorNote. I have yet to hear the developer talk about import/export. A lot of users have requested this and maybe in a future avatar, ColorNote will have that feature.

3. Phillip
    August 31, 2010 at 12:16 PM #

ColorNote, Am I missing something what is the point of having a backup option with no restore ?????

• September 8, 2010 at 12:18 AM #

@phillip You can restore the notes from the backup that you make. What the others are saying is that you can't import notes from other programs that you may have used on your android phone or on your PC or Mac. To restore the notes in ColorNote simply click on the the backup that you have made.

4. endiku
    September 12, 2010 at 2:56 AM #

Abhilash:

Didnt work for me =/ I reinstall ColorNote and when I clik on the backup files, it says no application can open the files…

• September 13, 2010 at 12:25 AM #

@endiku You need to go to backup screen in ColorNote. There it will show you your existing backups. Just click on the one you want to restore.

5. Chris M
    November 3, 2010 at 3:52 AM #

I updated my phone and went to restore all of the notes I had, but it is asking for a password. I never set up a password for ColorNotes as I didn't even know you could back up the notes until about 5 minutes ago. Any suggestions of how to get the old notes back? I see them listed in backup… just can't retrieve.
    Chris

• November 8, 2010 at 9:25 PM #

The "Master Password" would have been set the first time you tried to make a backup. The backed up notes are encrypted, so you do need that password to access the backed up notes and restore them.

6. montREALady
    November 9, 2010 at 5:41 AM #

I honestly don't remember ever creating a password for ColorNotes and it's asking me for one. I've tried some possibilities with no luck.

• November 13, 2010 at 6:21 AM #

Neither do I, but it asks me to create one when I first visit the backup section in the app.

• November 13, 2010 at 6:26 AM #

Looks like a lot of people are facing similar problems with ColorNote. Maybe the app is actually asking you to set a password rather than put in the old password.

Thats the default behaviour. In case you go to the backups section for the first time after reinstall or hard reset, it asks you to create a password as soon as you visit the Backups section.

7. Etienne
    November 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM #

After updating to android 2.1 colornotes asked to create a password for manual back ups. When using the backup function to reinstall to an older auto back up this password was denied.

SOLUTION: Using password 0000 did reset to the old version with my old notes!!!

• November 22, 2010 at 3:38 PM #

@etienne Thanks for the tip. The 0000 password seems to be working for people.

• Kate
      June 4, 2011 at 1:18 AM #

this password does not work for the newer version of ColorNote.

June 4, 2011 at 1:53 AM #

@kate Thanks for the information. Have you tried other default passwords like 1111 or 9999?

• dizzLedaddy
          July 27, 2011 at 3:40 AM #

My notes were backed up to my sdcard. I can see them in the backup portion of colornote & also view them on my PC. When I use the MP provided it says ‘done’ at the bottom of the screen, however nothing has been restored. Very frustrating. Please help.

July 27, 2011 at 6:05 AM #

@dizzLedaddy can you see the number of notes in the backup? The Backup section of ColorNote will also show you the number of notes that are in any of the backups as a number on the right of the date of the backup.

• dizzLedaddy
            July 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM #

yes, there are is the number three. so i can only assume there are 3 notes. any suggestions?

July 27, 2011 at 1:24 PM #

And when you click on those they don’t appear in your list?

• dizzLedaddy
            July 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM #

I hit backup once in ‘CN’ on my device. A list of back-ups appears some w/ ‘Auto’ or ‘Manual’ ques beside them.
            The ones w/ Auto are able to be opened w/ default password. The ones that are manual are opened w/ my master password. After unlocking a ‘Done’ bubble pops @ the bottom of the screen & then nothing appears to be restored. I am using a stock EVO3D w/ Gingerbread of course.
            Am i just at a loss? I show where they have been stored on my SD when my device is hooked up via USB. However i don’t know how to restore those either. Perplexed.

• Miss_LIberty
            August 9, 2011 at 8:04 PM #

I am having the EXACT same problem and I can not get my notes to restore I had EVERYTHING on there and I am sooo frustrated I can’t get anything to work:( It only does something with my master password and all i get is the little done box at the bottom but then nothing happens! :( Any one have any other ideas besides 0000 or my master password? I can see the notes listed that I want to restore but it wont work…

• navzay
            October 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM #

I have the exact same problem as dizzLedaddy.
            I hit backup, SD card backup then select the backup i want (none of them work).
            I select OK, enter the password, it accepts it and and a ‘Done’ bubble pops at the bottom of the screen but nothing has actually been restored.
            Is there anyway just to extract the notes contained in the backup or convert it to word format or something? I really need the info in one of my notes.

8. Chantal
    November 18, 2010 at 3:28 AM #

I too ran into this issue. I don't remember creating a password when downloading the app and I even reset my master password. After trying all the possibilities I could think of, I tried some generics and 0000 seemed to work!

• November 22, 2010 at 3:39 PM #

@chantal Glad it worked for you.

• Derek
      February 19, 2012 at 6:29 AM #

0000 worked for me too, thanks a bunch

9. monica
    November 23, 2010 at 2:19 PM #

I saw there are color note backups in the SD card thru my computer. Remember to unmount you phone first. password 0000 works. so happy to get my notes back

• kishore
      June 14, 2011 at 7:44 PM #

Unmounting the phone worked. Thanks.

10. November 24, 2010 at 2:40 AM #

I am really happy to see that so many people use this app. :-)

The clean look and the ease of use is why I use it.

11. TFG
    December 8, 2010 at 1:00 PM #

Etienne:

SOLUTION: Using password 0000 did reset to the old version with my old notes!!!

LIFESAVER!!!! Thank you!!!

12. Agzilla
    December 16, 2010 at 8:35 AM #

YES!!! Many thanx… had same issue… password… 0000 worked for me.. my notes are restored!!! WOOHOO!

Zz.

13. cheesybeard666
    December 25, 2010 at 5:06 AM #

@etienne you are a freakin life saver!

14. Abel
    December 25, 2010 at 8:34 PM #

Don't seen to be working for me. I just got froyo and it's not working even with the 0000 pass. Please help.

• December 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM #

@abel other default passwords to try are 9999 and 1234. Although 0000 seems to be the one thats been working for most. Maybe you can try one of your frequently used passwords?

15. Jim
    December 30, 2010 at 9:18 AM #

Is there a way to do a manual backup of Colornotes? I see previous backups when I click the backup screen but I don't know how they got generated. Getting replacement Droid (for free, thanks VZ for standing behind the product and service!) and need to backup because the previous backups do not contain my most current notes.

Thanks in advance.

• December 30, 2010 at 3:11 PM #

@Jim Yes you can.
      Go into Menu -> Backup -> Set a new master password if you are a first time user -> enter same password when asked -> backup will happen

16. Katherine Metres
    January 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM #

Monica,

How did you see that there were notes on your SD card? I backed up my notes to my SD card, but none of these password ideas are working for me, and for all I know, maybe my SD card is incorrectly installed.

Thanks,

Katherine

• January 1, 2011 at 11:38 PM #

@Katherine Colornote generally puts the backups in the path "sdcard>data>colornote>backup
      Check if you have any .dat or .idx files there. If you do, then ColorNote should show you some backups in the program.

17. Bambiblues
    January 3, 2011 at 8:31 AM #

Wish I found this page before I did my hard reset. My problem is I'm looking for my old ColorNote data files. I did the passcode reset, but never had a passcode when I first began to use ColorNote. So I did the backup using the new codes and found my new sample backup files. But I don't see my old files. Are they there?

• January 3, 2011 at 1:49 PM #

@Bambiblues Check in the SD Card in the path “sdcard>data>colornote>backup" If you have multiple idx and dat files then you have more than one backup available on the card at least. For every backup that you make, colornote creates one each .idx and .dat file. These appear in the list when you go to menu>Backup

18. monyo
    January 10, 2011 at 10:36 AM #

0000 works! thank you!

19. Scott
    January 14, 2011 at 8:59 AM #

Is there an option to remotely backup data?? There should be. I lost my DROID X up snowboarding this last weekend, got a new one through insurance a couple days ago, all my ColorNote data was on my old phone evidently and I can't restore any of it evidently. Especially being that any of my backed up data would have been stored on my lost SD card, correct?

• January 17, 2011 at 6:28 PM #

@Scott Currently there is no option to backup to a remote location. For that you can try either Evernote or Springpad. Colornote is a very simple and basic note taking application.

20. MzLayD
    January 19, 2011 at 12:22 PM #

0000 doesn't work for me. Any other suggestions?

• January 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM #

Hi MzLayD
      0000 seems to be the only default value. Are you sure you don't have your own password set in ColorNote that you may have forgotten?

21. montREALady
    January 28, 2011 at 5:30 AM #

0000 worked back in November when I first inquired and it's actually listed on the Social & Media (developers) blog as the solution. But I had to get a new phone a couple days ago and it's not working now. I doubt I actually put a password the last time around so not to confuse things. But even so, I tried all my possible ones and everything is getting rejected. Then trying to contact the developers with the contact info they have in the Android Market is mission impossible, they don't reply!! It's so annoying when you can actually see your last restored note and can't get it! I've been able to restore all my other apps without a problem.

22. montREALady
    January 28, 2011 at 5:32 AM #

*I meant Social & Mobile

• February 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM #

@montREALady Looking at how the developers are not very responsive to user's queries and suggestions, I moved onto Springpad as my note application of choice. Also because backing up on SD is not ideal. Springpad syncs automatically to the cloud. I will have a post on Springpad soon. You can check it out at springpadit.com

23. w poo
    February 3, 2011 at 6:49 PM #

Have 56 notes backed up. Received replacement phone. Downloaded colornotes again. Tried to reinstall notes, and found there was a password needed. I created password in master area, but still cannot retrieve my notes. Password is being rejected. Changed it multiple times, still not working. Made a new note as a tester, backed it up, then deleted it. Went to backed up notes screen, and used password to restore that one note. It worked! Password worked! BUT password still doesn't work on my previous backed up notes. Why? Help help please help

• February 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM #

@w poo
      Have you tried "0000"?
      That is the default password that seems to be working for people.

I have now moved to Springpad since the ColorNote devs were not really taking users seriously. Also, Springpad is a lot more powerful and yet simple to use and it syncs to the web. So no more worrying about master passwords and the like.

• Barbra
        April 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM #

Can someone please answer this question. The reason I like ColorNotes is it’s ease and the fact it can be saved on my sd card…so I thought. I have a Samsung Epic and it looks like because CN is a third party app, I can’t save to sd card. Now, my question is if I use an app like Evernote, or Springnote, and sync it, is there anyway this info can be stolen or viewed by others, as there is personal info on the notes?

April 26, 2011 at 1:54 AM #

@barbra the ease of use is the main reason that I started to use ColorNote. For an app to be movable to the SD Card, it needs to be made that way. Generally apps with widgets are not movable to the SD Card. Storing your notes on an SD card has its problems. You may want a new, larger card someday or your card may get corrupted. In the latter case you lose all the notes backed up on the card. Services like Evernote and SpringPad provide an online backup as well so no matter what happens to your local copy, your online copy is always there. These are relatively safe, but as with all online services they can be hacked into if someone really wants to. But in all likelyhood, no one really wants to break into a note taking app. You have to be more careful keeping the local copy safer than really worry about the online copy.

• Barbra
        April 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM #

I went into my SD Card and noticed when I went into my files, clicked on a folder “data”, then click the folder “Colornote”, “backup”, it lists many files…..example “130267093….MANUAL, and other files like …”130297…AUTO.idx or .dat…. but when I click on one of these files, I get a message box that says “Open file” No applications can perform this action” Can’t figure out what this means.

April 26, 2011 at 1:56 AM #

@barbra These are the files created by ColorNote to store your notes. You cannot open them directly from the file browser. They can only be opened from the app.

24. Allan
    February 4, 2011 at 5:17 AM #

Thank you in advance for your help. I did a software update to my Droid Incredible today. Afterward, when I tried to open ColorNote, I get a message saying "Sorry: the application ColorNote (process com.socialnmobile.ditapps.notepad.color.note) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." After trying many times, I only get the same response. I had some notes I would like to retrieve, but I don't know how to get them. I didn't do any kind of manual backup prior to the software update. Any suggestions?!

• February 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM #

@Allan
      Your error sounds like an application issue. You can try to reinstall ColorNote and if it still behaves the same, you can do a reset of your Droid and try installing ColorNote again. Since the format of the notes and the backup is specific to ColorNote, I dont think you can retrieve them with any other program.

• Lisa
      May 23, 2011 at 1:25 AM #

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? My Droid recently started giving me the same error message… on ColorNotes and several other of my applications. Just wondering if you found a solution?

• Ryan
        June 2, 2011 at 11:30 PM #

Did you ever figure it out. Same Here. Ug

June 3, 2011 at 1:39 AM #

@Lisa this is an application/system error. If you are getting this error on many applications, then you might need to do a reinstall of the applications or a factory reset as a last resort.

• Ryan
      June 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM #

Hey Allan,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? Same thing is happening to me. It’s killing me that I might lose all those notes.

25. Sherry
    February 5, 2011 at 6:49 AM #

Thank you! Used password 0000 and restored all my old notes. I am having to switch to a new phone … will I be able to retrieve the notes on it as well?

• February 5, 2011 at 4:17 PM #

@Sherry
      Yes you can. If you use the same SD Card.

26. theresa
    February 11, 2011 at 5:13 AM #

You guys are awesome. just used the 0000 password to restore my notes and I am sooooo happy to have them back!

27. w poo
    February 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM #

Yes, I changed my password to 0000 after finding this site. No luck. I can back up and retrieve new notes, but my old notes still sit there on my SD card, taunting me. If I could just find a way to read them from my sd card, on my computer, I would be forever greatfull ! Thanks for this site! Any new thoughts or ideas?

• February 16, 2011 at 9:40 PM #

Nothing that comes to mind.

28. JIGz
    May 7, 2011 at 12:38 AM #

Hi,

I want to put my notes on my home screen can you guide me how is that done?

• JIGz
      May 7, 2011 at 12:45 AM #

Ok i found the way myself thanks

May 7, 2011 at 4:19 AM #

@jigz glad you found it. Thanks for dropping by.

29. Keith
    June 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM #

My daughter updated her xoom to the latest version of colornote. It made a backup, but there are no options to look at your old notes. They are in the backup folder but the app doesn’t allow you to view them or open them or anything them. They are just backed up with no way to view them. HELP! This is a major problem with this app. Do not update until a way is made to restore your old notes BEWARE! For an app that is so raved about, this seems to have been a problem for a long time and makes it useless if you have stored notes thinking you can still view them after the update.

• JM
      June 25, 2011 at 3:14 AM #

I agree, I got a replacement Droid and my old notes backups are sitting in the SD card but when I try to restore then through ColorNotes it does not see the old backs. Lost some important notes!!!

• Rob
      July 8, 2011 at 9:01 PM #

I also have questions with this????

It says it will backup to SD card, BUT I tested it…..

You can pull the SD card out and STILL Restore the notes???
      So that leads me to believe that the backup IS NOT on the SD card, and if the phone is wiped so are the notes???

Anyone???
      Thanks

30. Anthony
    June 27, 2011 at 4:29 AM #

I recently backed up my ColorNote notes on my old phone and transferred the IDX and DAT files in a zip file to my e-mail and then back down to my new phone and unzipped the files into ColorNote’s directory. Everything works well, and it accepts the password on the file, but nothing gets restored. I have a 100kb file full of notes that I can’t access. It acts like it is restoring, and it returns to the Workspace and says “Done” but there are no notes. I also checked the archive, and it was empty too. Please help!

• Darrell
      June 30, 2011 at 6:05 PM #

I had same problem with restoring backups. Tried all previous suggestions. What finally worked was uninstalling the ColorNote app, then re-installing it fresh from Market. Then I used 0000 for master password for old notes and they were restored perfectly. This only works for “Automatically” generated backups without user master password. If you had entered in you own password for a particular backup, you will probably need to remember that password to pull up your “manually” backed up notes. Hope this helps.

• October 25, 2011 at 8:56 AM #

Darrel
        God bless your heart! I can rest easy now…My phone became useless and I was afraid I had lost forever 43 very important notes! Thank you for the invaluable tip!

October 25, 2011 at 9:27 AM #

@sketchbloom I am glad that this comment thread helped you out. However, as I have said earlier, if these notes are really very important, you must not depend on a standalone app like ColorNote. You must use an app that allows cloud sync/backup. There are so many options to choose from – Evernote, Springpad, Dropbox… the list goes on. In my opinion, it is criminal of the ColorNote devs to not proved cloud backup for such a popular, and frankly, loved app.

Update: I was mistaken. The latest app has online sync!!! I will try this out right now.

• ayb
            November 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM #

How did you sync online? Did you sync it to your pc? and do I need to install a new version of ColorNote? Thank you very much !

November 25, 2012 at 6:49 AM #

The sync is through the app itself.

• ayb
            November 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM #

I have synced it few times but couldn’t locate it in my pc. Thank you anyway!
            Yesterday I found this Gnotes app and it works with Gmail. Since I use Gmail a lot, it ‘s very convenience and very simple. Though I like ColorNote a lot, I am switching to Gnotes.

November 26, 2012 at 12:22 AM #

Colour note syncs to the cloud and not to your PC.

• ayb
            November 26, 2012 at 3:07 AM #

Thank you Abhilash! I think I can retrieve the noted in ColorNote through my tablet.

31. July 13, 2011 at 3:23 PM #

I have had to do this just now since my wife broke her Android phone. I reset my Android phone for her, put in her SD card and SIM, installed colornote and looked for the backups. They were all there I was able to restore the notes with the default “0000” password.

• July 13, 2011 at 8:13 PM #

HELP!! Abhilash can you help me. I have to switch phones. My LG Revolution is not keeping a charge so Verizon just shipped me a new one. I backed up my notes, switched sim, sd card and battery. Downloaded the Colornote on my new phone,opened app, clicked menu, then clicked back up and nothing is there. Did I do this correctly?

• admin
        July 14, 2011 at 1:37 AM #

#raquel that’s exactly the way I did it. ColorNote on the new phone saw the existing backups on the old SD card and I was able to get them back with the “0000” default password. Can you see your notes there on the SD card through the file manager?

• Raquel
          July 14, 2011 at 3:30 AM #

No, I am not able to see the back up in ColorNote. I already made a master password before I took out the sim and sd card on the old phone. I thought I had to do it in order to back up. I didnt have a file manager. I guess I need one. I will download Astro File Manager now. Lets see what happens. Thanks.

32. Raquel
    July 14, 2011 at 4:06 AM #

The back up is in the file manager but somehow im not seeing it in Color Notes.. :(

• admin
      July 14, 2011 at 6:33 AM #

@raquel I didnt face any problems in accessing the notes backup on the new phone. Let me check on this and see if some has a solution or a reason why your ColorNote is not showing the backups.

33. July 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM #

I used the Astro and the ColorNote was in the section called “Phone Only” so I couldnt save the application to the sd card but I did back up.

34. As Technician, Massapequa NY Vzw
    July 17, 2011 at 1:36 AM #

It should work for everybody 0000 I did it just now…to a customer …even know were not allow to work in third party applications… If you put a master password reset it.. hit settings scroll down to the battom and reset by using the 0000 in the two spaces that are requiere …you must remenber the old passworld that you save it if you did?, if you did not used a different memory card from somebody else in you family it should’t creat any damage to it it won’t then you will be able to start fresh with a new master password to set up , that’s how I finally got it them you will see it being save. them remove the memory card and put it back in the new phone and it should pop out right away…

35. Scott
    July 28, 2011 at 12:22 AM #

Help!! I had to rest my wife’s HTC Incredible 2. I back up Colornotes to our PC (and there were auto backup files on the SD card). I reinstalled Colornotes and retored the data files but only 5 of the 7 actually backed up. When I back up for a previous file set ther is a “7” to the right of the screen, which I assume meand there are/were 7 notes. Any ideas on how to get all of the notes to restore? All of the arhive files were automatic and we never passworded any of them.

Is there any way to use an external file editor/reader to look at the .dat and .idx files?

Thanks in advance, Scott

36. Abhilash
    July 28, 2011 at 1:16 AM #

@scott @dizzledaddy You can try and open the .dat and .idx files in notepad on Windows or in similar program on other platforms. It should be able to show you the note contents along with a lot of other gibberish though.

37. RJSH_1727
    August 4, 2011 at 7:34 AM #

Hi, if are Backups are located on our SD Card, shouldn’t the ones I had Backed up before doing a Factory Reset still be listed? The only ones I see in my Backup list are my new ones, AFTER doing a Factory Reset. I don’t see the ones before. Are they permanently gone? Thank you!

August 10, 2011 at 5:15 AM #

@rjsh_1727 a far as I have seen, the updates are incremental. Your latest backup file will have all the notes.

38. android
    August 30, 2011 at 6:49 AM #

to restore all ur back up you saved , open color note,click the settings button on it then click back up then on the bottom page would say sd card back up click on it, then select the date you wanted then put 0000 as default password good luck

39. Snake
    September 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM #

I had six notes in my ColorNote app. Recently I upgraded from Android 2.2 to 2.3, which obviously wiped my phone. After doing this, I reinstalled ColorNote, restored my four notes from backup, and all was well. I’ve created two notes since then, totalling six. I accidentally deleted one of them, but I realised the Automatic Backup would contain it. I restored the automatic backup from the correct date (which shows there are six notes contained inside it), but it only restored the four notes I had from before I upgraded to 2.3.

I’ve tried now even creating a new fifth note, creating a manual backup, and restoring it. The new fifth test note, despite being contained in the backup, does not restore. Only the four old notes restore. I even tried deleting all four notes, creating two random test notes, manually backing those up and restoring them… And still the old four original notes are the only thing returning. I don’t understand how this is happening, unless somehow it’s only restoring one specific backup no matter which one I click on?

• Andy
      September 24, 2011 at 7:27 AM #

I’m having the same issue and were you able to find a solution?

40. Rin
    September 23, 2011 at 10:46 PM #

I’ve done all the directions above and I still haven’t been able to restore my notes. It rejects my master password and when I do use “0000” it goes through and says “done” but the notes are not restored. I’ve written the support team and have yet to hear back from them. I am very displeased with their customer service.

September 24, 2011 at 4:19 AM #

@rin Unfortunately I am not using this app any more so I wont be able to give you any first hand inputs to your problem. Other people in the comments have also had the same problem. As far as the support for the app is concerned, dont expect too much since it is a free app and they are not obliged to really give you any. They have not responded in the past as well.

41. Neal
    October 28, 2011 at 3:21 AM #

Thanks for the post snag comment replies, Abhilash! Definitely helpful for debugging this damn thing…

I too lost my notes to this backup issue. I think the problem is with the backup, not the restore. Most of my automatic and manual backup files are exactly the same size, even though they supposedly have different numbers of notes in them (and different versions of those notes). But whenever I restore, I always get my notes as they were on September 29th (unless I try one of the two older backups).

I was avoiding upgrading due to online sync, but I figured maybe the latest version would help. No dice… So I uninstalled… permanently.

Online sync is okay, but there’s not much reason to trust it any more than the offline backup, given this company’s record of completely ignoring their customers’ data loss complaints. I could only trust it if the files were in a format I could decode, on a server under my control. Hell, if they hadn’t included a broken backup feature, I wouldn’t have lost my important stuff by trying to restore something trivial!

I’ve learned my lesson… Open formats and user-accessible files from here on out.

October 28, 2011 at 5:12 AM #

Specifically for notes, I switched to Springpad to start with and I am now almost exclusively using Google Tasks :-)

42. Neal
    October 28, 2011 at 6:22 AM #

Thanks for the tip!

One day Google’s going to let us down, too… But I’ll just assume that’s twenty years away :P

43. barbara
    November 21, 2011 at 7:47 PM #

hi, just got colornotes and have a problem with the calendar. i have lists that i reuse so i did a repetition to add it to other dates on the calendar. when i go to todays date and cross out an item or delete an item it also crosses out or deletes the item on the future repetition dates. is there a way i can cross out or edit the list for today without changing the list i have on future dates on the calendar? thanks

44. bh
    November 23, 2011 at 1:44 PM #

Hi,
    I have an editing problem. Android 2.3 Moto Defy+.
    When I edit a note, I place the cursor and type but the text appears at a different part of the note and changes that instead! Almost impossible to add items to a list because of this.
    Very irritating as otherwise it’s a good app.
    Anyone got any ideas?

45. Snowhite
    December 5, 2011 at 7:57 PM #

Hi, I couldn´t enter the application so I deleted the application and installed it again. When I insered the 0000 password, nothing happened. Then when I decided to do a Backup and the back up finished I saw that my older back ups where there and I could click in them and view my older notes! Now happy happy!!

46. John A
    December 24, 2011 at 1:30 AM #

my HTC android phone from Verizon. Stopped working I got a new phone but I lost my notes can someone help me with get them back.

January 3, 2012 at 4:06 AM #

@John The comments on this post are sure to provide you a solution.

47. January 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM #

Snowhite, you are so very right. I followed your instructions and it worked for me. Now I am very happy as well. Thanks!

48. Rin
    January 3, 2012 at 4:27 AM #

I’m clearly not living right with God because I’ve done everything on this post and the ColorNotes blog and my notes will not restore.

January 3, 2012 at 5:15 AM #

@Rin Can you tell us what you are trying to do?

49. DG
    January 3, 2012 at 6:16 PM #

Anyone know where the notes are stored? I set a master password on one device, created a new note, sync’d, and then sync’d on a second device *without* setting the new master password. The sync “worked fine”. I say “worked fine” because if the notes are being AES encrypted, with WHAT KEY are they being encrypted? I’m not providing one which means ColorNotes has one readily available *and known*! This in turn means that our notes aren’t really private. Anyone with access to the ColorNotes source code and servers can decrypt our notes and read our data!!

Proper protection requires an AES password/phrase be provided by the user and *not* stored anywhere. Can anyone elaborate on this?

January 4, 2012 at 5:20 AM #

@DG the notes are stored locally in the folder /data/colornote/backup No idea on the encryption or how/where they are storing the synced notes online.

• DG
        January 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM #

Thanks! I knew where they were on the SD card. My issue is completely with the ‘cloud” storage and encryption.

50. G
    March 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM #

Success!!!! After bricking my phone and restoring it, I couldn’t work out how to get the old backups in data\colornote to show. I deleted and re-installed the app, went to Settings and moved the App to the SD card and then all my backups appeared!!!!

PHEW!

51. Rin
    June 30, 2012 at 3:13 AM #

@Abhilash I’m trying to restore notes from my old phone to my replacement. The app was set to automatically sync notes which I presumed it did because I see the notes in the backup folder. When I go to restore them on the phone, it says that it’s done but no notes appear no matter which backup file I choose. The master password 0000 does not work either. I only had 1 note that was locked. I’ve been trying since September and nothing seems to work.

July 2, 2012 at 8:45 AM #

@rin My suggestion would be that you scan through the comments on this post and see if one of the solutions there helps out. I don’t have an android device any more to test this as of now.

52. Jon
    July 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM #

To restore backup files from SDCARD
    I added more detail for those of you who may be like me and need extra info.
    Open colornote on your phone then click the Menu button on your phone. Go to Settings > SD card backup. Here now you’ll se a list of all of the backed up files by the date they were backedup on . On the right in the square there’s the number of the notes contained in each backup. Click on the latest backup you would like to see.

You’ll see each of the notes that were backed up on that date.
    Long touch on each note and it will ask you to restore it. If you just tap it you can view it without the restore option.

In the future use the colornote online sync option to back these up and restore automatically. Open color note. Click on the menu button on the phone. Select sync and follow instructions.

If this does not work you may need to copy the files from the back up directory first.
    Plug the phone USB cord into the PC. Use the file manager on your PC to
    copy the contents of the data\colornote\backup folder to data\colornote on your SD card.

53. Pete
    August 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM #

Hi,
    I’ve restored my backup from sd card on an old phone. How do I sync these notes online so that I can access them on my new HTC Sensation XL.
    Help anyone.

August 30, 2012 at 2:37 AM #

@pete this is a setting that’s available in the app options. I believe that you need to use your google credentials to activate cloud backup.

54. Pete
    August 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM #

@Abhilash,
    Can you please let me know how to go about that?

September 3, 2012 at 5:22 AM #

@pete this is all I have for now.

I don’t have an android device on me anymore so I can’t give you the exact steps.

Update: ColorNote Now Provides Online Sync

Note: The sync is in beta so please have the SD backup as well

55. Pete
    September 3, 2012 at 8:26 AM #

@Abhilash,
    Thanks.

56. michelle
    September 4, 2012 at 2:19 AM #

I am so upset I had lots of notes saved and i can’t even view them. i tried ‘0000’ and another password i usually use but that doesn’t work which is weird. the Auto back ups don’t work only the manual backups seem to work with my password. I’m guessing the auto backups are created with automatic passwords that’s why some of us can’t get through :-( it really sucks I had this colornote since 2010. i took a number down from colornote it was important i can’t even call the person anymore, can someone please help me get this back

57. Susan
    September 24, 2012 at 3:13 AM #

THanks!!! I was freaking out, Had lots important info. Saw my notes on my SD card. I had to unmount my droid and THEN restore. It worked!! Awesome

58. Laura
    September 26, 2012 at 10:09 PM #

i dont have the SD option to back up to my card. I did see the online sync. i opted for the gmail credentials instead of the facebook credentials. how do i know it synced? where do i log in? can i actually see the data someewhere besides my phone? i came here and it shows me that my app is installed but i cant see my data. i need to activate a new phone and junked the old one and i want to make sure the data is saved somewhere. also – is there a way for me to save to my sd card? i didnt see that option. Im not so great at all this cloud stuff and syncing thanks for your help.

September 27, 2012 at 4:40 AM #

The ColorNote sync does not have an online location which you can access, as far as I know. It’s somewhere on their servers but not accessible for users. You may want to sync on the new device with the same credentials and that should get you the notes back.

59. dj
    October 1, 2012 at 1:58 AM #

I did factory reset with my phone. My colornotes show up in the data file as DAT and IDX files. But, the do not show up on my phone when I go to the SD card backup option in the application. Anyone know how I can restore them to my phone?

60. dj
    October 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM #

No my color notes are showing up on my phone, but I can’t retrieve them.

61. Meg
    October 1, 2012 at 8:32 PM #

Problem: Got a new phone, backed up color not on my old phone. When I went to import it on the new phone it simply said ‘Error’

Solution: Connected my old phone using wifi and did a sync (I used google, you could use facebook and there was another option). I did a sync from my new phone and was able to sync up to the old list.

62. enlightened
    October 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM #

I think I got the answer.

Problem occurs when android system is changed, usually upgraded to gingerbread or ICS (ice cream sandwich) or as in my case yesterday to Jellybeans.

SOLUTION: use a phone with the previous system (2nd phone as I did, or borrow a friend or downgrade for a bit)

If you had moved the files for backing up: Move back the last backed up file by date:
    .DAT and .IDX file from old sdcard/data/colornote/backup

copy them to the old system (I had actually backed up on PC)

The restore deletes all current notes, so copy the notes if using an older/friend’s phone first, one by one and paste them in another app and save as text file. Do the same after finishing with restored notes.

I use extensive-notes-pro and back up even there which saves them as txt files on sdcard then I move to PC for more backup. It is a great app. I tried reading .DAT & .IDX files (dbase format) with some dbase readers but most failed and datview viewer on PC did not work with the password, looks colornote uses propriety encrypting not standard dbase dat/idx format. So move to another app that backs up as normal txt files. I also do not trust online synch apps as they can read my notes.

Good luck.

• Neal
      October 24, 2012 at 4:04 AM #

That’s disgusting :(

I’m with you on using plain-text and avoiding apps with mystrious online sync.

Hmmm… I wonder if I could get Vim my phone

63. Neal
    October 24, 2012 at 4:15 AM #

Gah!
    This edit box is really on my phoneT(using a desktop user-agent so i can to a particular post). replyhis edit boxox acts

I give up

64. cathiepixie
    December 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM #

for the laboriously capable, it is possible to get the text from the notes one way….
    each note has a send option on the menu button.
    I’m going through mine now emailing each on to myself :-/
    only way I can get them all backed up out of the app!

65. ayb
    December 6, 2012 at 3:48 AM #

Thank you very much Cathiepixie! It’s very helpful!